Packing For Success On The Road
Have you ever started packing for vacation, and half way through realized that you need at least two more bags to fit all of your shoes, dresses, personal care items…and the list goes on and on? I’ve been there, and it’s a terrible feeling!
“But what if I end up needing my black strappy heels and my pink pumps?”
“This dress would be awesome for dinner if we go somewhere nice!”
“I’m going to need my running shoes, two workout outfits, and a jump rope.”
We’ve all been there! So how do you know what to pack and what to leave at home? I know I’ve over packed a number times. Then I’m left lugging extra bags around, and only use 25% of what I brought anyways!
Not only does it suck to have to lug things around, but it’s stressful to keep track of, finding a specific item is difficult, and you have to rewash everything and put it all away again when you get home. It’s just easier not to bring the extra in the first place.
Pack what you need, not what you might use
To break myself of my over packing habit I’ve come up with a phrase to keep me on packing track. It’s called “WILL I USE THIS?” or fondly referred to as “WUT?”.
This a simple as going through your closet and thinking realistically about what you are packing.
If you’re headed to a beach resort you’re probably not going to need five dresses, six tops, four pairs of shorts, four pairs of sandals, three pairs of heels, your entire makeup case, and every vitamin bottle you can find. You’ll probably end up wearing your bathing suit 90% of the time, get away with the makeup essentials, and can condense your vitamins into a small container.
- Before you start packing make a checklist of everything you need. This will keep you on track when you want to pack ten shirts, but your list only says to pack four.
- Condense what you can and give thought to what you’re packing. If you need to dress up, one pair of neutral heels such as nude pumps would suffice even if you have three pairs of heels that would look better with each outfit.
- Pack outfits that are easy to layer so you’re comfortable throughout the day no matter what the temperature change.
- Only pack the essential beauty supplies – pack your basic makeup needs and toiletries. Most hotels provide body wash and a blow drier at the minimum.
- Pack travel sized toiletries, or purchase inexpensive travel sized bottles to transfer your soaps, lotions, hair products, etc. into.
- Check out your hotel. What do they offer? I’ve noticed that some hotels are now offering nice rental workout gear. The last hotel I stayed at offered men’s and women’s workout clothes and shoes for only a $5 rental fee. Being able to leave behind your workout gear would save lots of valuable space in your luggage!
- If you’re not into the idea of renting workout gear, maybe try body weight exercises in your hotel room instead of heading to the gym.
- Check out my free packing guide below for more ideas on how to pack for fitness success on the road!
Packing for vacation should be fun, not stressful! If you find yourself packing your entire closet just slow down and think WUT. Make your packing checklist and stay on track. It can be done!
Get your FREE ultimate packing guide for fitness success on the road!
Until next time,
P.S. What do you do to minimize your packing? Let us know on Facebook!
Photo Credit: Luggage
Share this info!