Establishing a Workout Routine While on Vacation
Traveling can wreck havoc on your already established workout routine, and if you’re not careful can set your fitness goals back into last month. Putting your workout routine on hiatus while traveling is easy to do and quite understandable. Here’s why:
- You’re no loner in your element; get up at 5:00 am, hit the gym, get to work by 8:00 am, etc, ceases to exist for the duration of your trip.
- Whether you are traveling for fun, work or school you probably have fun (or not so fun if it’s a boring conference) events and meals planned at random times throughout the day.
- Cooking is out; you are reliant on others for your food.
- It’s easy to tell yourself, “It’s ok, I’ll get back on track when I’m home in X days”.
For the reasons listed above it’s that much more important to figure out your temporary fitness routine before or when you arrive at your destination. Before you arrive at your hotel or friend’s house you can start planning what to expect during your stay. Here are a few questions to consider before you arrive:
- What will my general day look like?
- What time do I normally exercise? Will I have free time during that time to exercise so my routine has some
- Do I know what fitness equipment is available? If so what will my workout look like? Will I be focusing on body weight workouts, using resistance bands and other small fitness equipment options in the hotel room, or will I be using a gym?
- If I’m using a gym what equipment do they have? How can I use the provided equipment to get the most out of my workouts?
- What food will be available? Will there be some healthy options or do I need to seek out healthy options?
A Little Recon Work Never Hurt
If you don’t know the answers to these questions before arriving then it will be important to do some recon work when your arrive. Here are a few points to check out when you arrive:
- Do I have a partial kitchen, just a fridge or nothing at all? Can I make and/or store healthy snacks/meals?
- Are there restaurants or cafes in close proximity that serve healthy options?
- Is there a gym, where is it and what equipment do I have at my disposal? If not what will I do to fit in my physical activity?
- Are there fitness classes offered at the hotel or close by?
Now That You Have it Figured Out
Once you have everything figured out in regards to how you plan on exercising and how to fit in a few healthy meals it’s time to set a schedule and stick to it. If you’re a morning person and want to wake up at 5:00 am to exercise, great! Same goes for those evening people. Figure out what works for you, and most importantly don’t make excuses. In reality, if you’re short on time for a particular day you probably can fit in at least 15-30 minutes of cardio, stretching, weights, or a body weight workout; whatever works best for you.
Don’t throw all of your hard work away just because you’re on vacation! One week of terrible eating and very little physical activity can ruin your hard work, and leave you feeling a bit depressed on the plane ride home. So do yourself a favor and get up and start planning!
Talk to you later,
[wysija_form id=”1″]Share this info!