Best intention workouts
Are you guilty of best intention workouts?
I can hear it now….what are best intention workouts? It’s that workout you plan on doing when you wake up in the morning, don’t get around to it, so decide to workout after lunch, still don’t get to it, so now plan on working out before dinner, and it never gets done so let’s do it first thing tomorrow morning. This ugly cycle leaves us feeling guilty and crappy.
So now that we know what best intention workouts are I’ll ask again. Are you guilty of best intention workouts? Because I am! Best intention workouts are a huge reason why I ended up gaining a sack of potatoes around my hips by the time we retuned home to the good ol’ U S of A.
So what did happen in Thailand…
How best intention workouts got the best of me
As I said in part 1 of How to gain 20 pounds in Thailand, I was ready to dominate my travel situation. I was going to workout like crazy, eat well, and return home in the best shape of my life….or the worst.
But guess what? I was traveling and having fun! I was seeing sights I had never seen before, and therefore justified blowing off my workouts. I was eating everything I wanted to eat and walking around a lot (which is great!) but still packing on the pounds.
- I would start my morning with the sincere intention to workout before breakfast. The something would happen. Maybe I was tired and didn’t want to get up, maybe a friend asked to meet up for breakfast and my timeline was changed, or maybe I simply didn’t feel like it.
- Then onto the afternoon and the same scenario would happen. I’d be working and didn’t want to break my flow, or it was too hot outside to withstand working out in the non-air conditioned gym.
- Then evening would roll around. Kyle and I would plan a date night or meet friends for dinner. Before I knew it, I was too full to think twice about exercising and probably would have thrown up on the treadmill or leg press.
This cycle perpetuated, and while I did manage to fit in workouts, they were not as regular as I had first imagined.
Which brings us to…
Making best intention workouts a reality
Turning best intention workouts into reality isn’t as hard as you think! It just takes a bit of effort, planning, willpower, and placing trust in yourself.
1. Plan Ahead
Planning ahead can be tedious, time consuming, and somewhat blah, but in the grand scheme of things will help keep you on track!
- Look over your schedule and determine what time works best for you to workout. This could be morning, afternoon, or evening, doesn’t really matter.
- Bonus points if you’re able to stick to the same time of day as your normal routine as you’ll be more likely to workout during that time if it’s already a habit.
2. Trust Yourself
Things come up when you’re traveling! If something interrupts your original plans don’t fret. Either try to fit in a quick workout or trust yourself to choose a new time and stick to it.
Also look into what that something is. If it’s drinks with friends you can probably ask them to push back your meeting time so you can still fit in your workout. They’ll understand!
3. Make a Date
If you’re afraid that you won’t fit in your workouts then make a date to exercise.
You can do this by:
- Scheduling a class
- Hiring a personal trainer
- Meeting up with a friend
If you’re paying for a class, and/or have someone waiting on you, then you’ll be more likely to follow through with the workout.
4. Be Kind to Yourself
Do yourself a huge favor and be kind to yourself! If there’s a day coming up and it’s not likely you’ll fit in a workout that’s fine! Accept that you won’t be working out and enjoy your day. Stressing yourself out about completing a workout when you know it’s just not going to work will only leave you feeling guilty. And ain’t nobody got time for that on vacay or a business trip. Trust yourself to fit in your workout tomorrow, and make it happen.
I hope with this bit of info that best intention workouts will become a thing of the past! By making exercise a priority we’re investing in ourselves, building confidence, trust in ourselves to accomplish tasks, and will continue to feel great throughout our entire trip!
Until next time,
P.S. Do you want to look good and feel great while traveling?? If so download my free packing guide for fitness success on the road!
Get my secret tips for…
- how to pack
- fitting in workouts
- eating healthy
- and much more!
Photo credit: rings
Share this info!