Happy St. Patty’s Day!
If you’re anything like me, then you also believe that St. Patty’s Day isn’t complete without a little green in your life.
You also think that a few healthier treats should be in order since let’s face it, St. Patty’s Day is usually filled with lots of Irish whisky, beer, corned beef and cabbage, and potatoes. So why not mix in something you can feel good about eating??
For the above reasons, I’ve put together some delicious grain free/gluten free zucchini muffins! I must say that I was a bit surprised at how delicious these muffins are after my taste test…I mean they’re pretty darn healthy.
My description of these delicious little zucchini muffins went something like this via text to Kyle.
Me: “It’s like banana bread had a baby with zucchini bread and the baby got all of the best traits.”
Kyle: “LOLOLOLOL. Must mean they have 0 calories too.”
Well guess what?? These zucchini muffins aren’t bad at all!
The sugar comes from one banana, stevia, and well, a few chocolate chips. I didn’t use any flour and opted for all natural, locally made peanut butter rather than Jif.
I’m proud to say that this is a muffin that I can stand behind, and feel good about eating. Plus it has a little green in it for St. Patty’s Day.
These zucchini muffins will also go well with a bottle of Guinness, a little corned beef, and of course a salad.
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup all natural peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp liquid stevia
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tbsp, Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- preheat oven to 375 degrees
- line 6 muffin tins
- mash the banana until creamy and most of the lumps are gone
- mix in the peanut butter, egg, stevia, flaxseed, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, and baking soda
- stir until well blended
- add in shredded zucchini and chocolate chips
- pour batter into muffin tins
- bake for 15 minutes - test with a toothpick
- After shredding zucchini make sure to squeeze out the excess liquid.
- If you're not a fan of liquid stevia you can use 1/4 cup of your favorite sweetener instead.
- If you have allergies to peanuts feel free to swap out the all natural peanut butter with almond butter or your favorite nut/seed butter.
P.S. What are your plans for St. Patty’s Day? Let me know on Facebook!