Maintaining Fitness Goals In Vegas
Does anyone else get super excited and then cringe a bit when a friend mentions Vegas? I do! At first I’m like “Yeah! Let’s do this!”, then it switches to, “Holy crap what am I about to do to my body??”.
Well, I have learned that my fitness goals don’t have to be completely derailed by a weekend in Vegas. My approach to Vegas last weekend was eat and drink with moderation, fit in some form of physical activity, and still have fun. I even lost some weight over the weekend!
Note: If you want to approach Vegas with reckless abandon be my guest! No one will stop you. This post is for those who want to have a great time without going overboard and sending fitness goals wayyyy back into last month.
Fitness Goals + Vegas
Here’s what I did to maintain my fitness goals while in Vegas. I still had a ton of fun, plus didn’t leave feeling like I was going to have a hangover for a week!
If you have a little notice about your Vegas trip then planning ahead will do wonders for maintaining your fitness goals.
- If you’ve been hit and miss with healthy eating then take a week or so before your Vegas trip to eat clean – focus on eating lean meats, veggies, complex carbs, and fruits.
- Cutting back slightly on your calorie intake before Vegas will allow you to consume a larger number of calories in Vegas without feeling it as much.
- Hold off on drinking until Vegas.
- Pack healthy snacks for your hotel room and walking around. You’ll be able to enjoy splurging on a high calorie dinner and save money.
- Pack protein bars, low sodium beef jerky, mini carrots, raw nuts, etc.
- Packing healthy snacks saved me around $20 at the pool (yes, a hot dog was $20), and a ton of empty calories especially since I was only looking for something to curb my hunger.
I only had about 12 hours warning that this trip was happening, so I was pretty happy that I had already been implementing the above strategy without trying….and it worked!
While in Vegas I practiced moderate eating and drinking…aka I saved greasy meals and adult beverages for important occasions such as dinner and meeting up with friends.
This was pretty easy for me since I spent some time alone while Kyle was playing poker. It might be harder to turn down high calorie snacks and drinks if you’re with a group of friends at the pool. Even so, challenge yourself to pick and choose which events are the most important to you to go all out.
Maintaining fitness goals starts in the kitchen. You can’t expect to eat 3,000+ calories per day plus drinking and return home feeling good about your choices, and maintaing your fitness goals.
Throwing in a few healthy meals throughout the day can make a huge difference in your total/quality of calories consumed. If you’re going out for a huge dinner then maybe choose a lighter option for breakfast and lunch.
Don’t get me wrong, I still ate chicken and waffles, a burger from Gordon Ramsey’s Burger Bar, and other delicious treats. However, mixing in healthy meals along with stopping when I was full allowed me to enjoy those meals without feeling guilty.
And, the best part is that you can easily find healthy options. One morning I found a build your own omelette for only $8.95! I loaded my omelette up with a ton of veggies, opted to not eat the hash brown that came with it and felt pretty good afterwards.
I was also able to find an organic superfood salad that was loaded with kale, spinach, hemp seeds, goji berries and other goodies. The key when ordering a salad is to ask for dressing on the side and avoid loading it up with three different kinds of cheese, cold cuts, croutons, etc. Once again, pick and choose which toppings are most important to you.
Fitting in physical activity when maintaing fitness goals in Vegas is a no brainer. This doesn’t need to be a huge workout either. Try some of these options:
- Leave the resistance bands at home and opt for a body weight workout in your hotel room. Let’s face it, an extra pair of shoes is more important than resistance bands in this situation! Try some push ups, planks, leg lifts, squats, lunges, burpees, and whatever else you can think of! Here are a few more ideas from LivestrongWoman.
- If you have a gym and want to bring workout clothes then head to the hotel gym!
- Dance all night at the clubs.
- Walk the strip and Miracle Mile Shops.
- Take a pole dancing or arial silks class.
There’s more to Vegas than clubs, pool parties, and blacking out. Fit in activities that don’t revolve around drinking and eating. For example, Kyle and I fit in a round of golf (yay more physical activity), stopped by the Pawn Stars shop, and toured the Mob Museum.
There are so many places in Vegas to visit that aren’t on your radar. Just do a quick google search and you’re bound to find something!
If you’re looking to maintain your fitness goals while in Vegas don’t freak out! I promise it can be done and my most recent trip is proof. You can have fun without over doing it. Remember to plan ahead, exercise moderation in your eating and drinking, mix in healthy options, fit it physical activity, and plan activities.
Until next time,
Video credit: Hotel Room WorkoutShare this info!