Welcome to the fist installment of Cocktail Conversations hosted by yours truly and my amazing blogger friend Teresa. Check out some of her awesome meal plans, fitness tips, and tons more at Eat, Drink & Be Skinny!
What is the White Russian Discussion?
Teresa will be talking more about the origins of the White Russian Discussion and our findings, so make sure to check out her post, but for now here’s a quick recap:
- Teresa is the original Skinny Cocktail creator.
- One night we decided to take it upon ourselves to bring the White Russian back, and host a taste test using different “white ingredients” in the White Russian recipe.
- Our “white ingredients” included: heavy whipping cream, peppermint coffee creamer, almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk, and vanilla Muscle Milk.
- Our White Russian recipe was 2 oz vodka, 1 oz Kahlua, 2 oz “white ingredient”.
- A brave group of seven friends acted as taste testers.
- We found that coconut milk and almond milk were too thin, and didn’t have enough substance to pull off the White Russian properly. Peppermint coffee creamer was alright, but should be saved for Christmas. Heavy whipping cream was too creamy and needed to be diluted. Cashew milk and vanilla Muscle Milk were our winners!
- Cashew milk is a great substitute for anyone looking for a creamier White Russian, but would like to cut calories and sweetness.
- Muscle Milk was a surprising win! We found that Muscle Milk added the perfect amount of creaminess, and the vanilla flavor was a great compliment to the Kahlua. Plus, by adding Muscle Milk we cut calories and added protein!
Just like any great taste test, there needs to be a section on how many calories we should burn after consuming one cocktail in order to pretend like that cocktail didn’t happen. These results might sway your option of which White Russian recipe really is the best! The amount of calories burned for each exercise is based on a 155 pound person.
For reference, 1 ounce = 2 tablespoons, 1 cup = 16 tablespoons, 1 ounce of Kahlua = 91 calories (And 15g of sugar! Gross….might rethink my Kahlua days), 1 ounce of Ketel One vodka = 69 calories.
We used Cashew Dream Original Flavor cashew milk. One cup is a serving which equals 50 calories. Therefore, two ounces of cashew milk equals 12.5 calories. All together the cashew milk White Russian equals 241.5 calories.
To burn off 241.5 calories you would need to cross country ski for about 30 mins.
We used Almond Breeze Vanilla Unsweetened almond milk. One cup is a serving which equals 30 calories. Therefore, two ounces of almond milk equals 7.5 calories. All together the almond milk White Russian equals 236.5 calories.
To burn off 236.5 calories you would need to play golf for an hour.
We used So Delicious Unsweetened coconut milk. One cup is a serving which equals 45 calories. Therefore, two ounces of coconut milk equals 11.25 calories. All together the coconut milk White Russian equals 240.25 calories.
To burn off 240.25 calories you would need to maintain a moderate speed on a stationary bike for half an hour.
Heavy Whipping Cream
For this recipe we used a local grocery brand heavy whipping cream. One tablespoon is a serving which equals 50 calories. Therefore, two ounces of heavy whipping cream is 100 calories. All together the heavy whipping cream White Russian equals 329 calories.
To burn off 329 calories you would need to run at 5.5 mph for half an hour.
Peppermint Coffee Creamer
We used Coffee Mate Peppermint Mocha coffee creamer. One tablespoon is a serving which equals 35 calories. Therefore, two ounces of peppermint coffee creamer is 70 calories. All together the peppermint coffee creamer White Russian equals 299 calories.
To burn off 299 calories you would need to play a game of badminton for an hour.
Lastly we tested Organic Vanilla Muscle Milk. 8.25 ounces is a serving of Muscle Milk which equals 120 calories. Therefore, two ounces of Muscle Milk is 29 calories. All together the Muscle Milk White Russian equals 258 calories.
To burn off 258 calories you would need to lightly row on the rowing machine for an hour.
As you can see from our little study here, at 229 calories for just the vodka and Kahlua, it’s hard to escape the impending calorie bomb. Calories from our “white ingredient” choices didn’t change the calorie count too much. However, if you’re not careful some “white ingredients” such as heavy whipping cream can significantly added to the total calorie count.
When it comes to staying skinny with your cocktails I’d say that you have a few choices.
- Since alcohol contributed the largest number of calories, try cutting down on the ratios. Instead of two ounces of vodka maybe try one ounce.
- To save about 70 calories per drink, try substituting cream for cashew milk or Muscle Milk. You’d be surprised how great these options taste.
- Only have one really good, high calorie, high fat cocktail and call it a night.
Thank you for sticking around for the fist episode of Cocktail Conversations. I’m sure we will have many more interesting conversations to come!
Until next time,
P.S. What kind of cocktail conversations would you like to see? Let us know on Facebook!
Share this info!